Monday, June 30, 2014

Hobby Farm Boy

I am going to do a few posts about interesting things about me. Just because it seems like a logical thing to do, so you can all know something about me. So here we go! I grew up on a farm, not like a real farm though, a hobby farm. My parents thought that it would be a good learning experience for me to take care of some animals. We had a flock of sheep( Like 12), a bunch of chickens, some horses(Late in my youth, and a series of cats, dogs, gerbils etc. The sheep were the big work, chickens mostly care for themselves. Sheep though, up at 5 to clean the pen and give them hay in the winters, after school more hay. It was a serious chore. Plus they are dumb as bricks. We had one ram, his name was Rambo, because I was like 12 and it seemed hilarious. The first time you get in a pen with a ram he assumes that you too are a ram and he does what he does to other rams, he hits you with his head. Being well versed in the ways of sheep, I knew that I had to stop him and push him on his side, to establish dominance. The problem is that 12 year old me weighed about 100 pounds and Rambo weighed about 275 so the first few times in the pen looked more like a game of tag than anything else. Unfortunately losing the game would probably have meant broken bones. Eventually I was able to get him and after that he left me alone but throughout my childhood it never stopped being funny to let my friends get in with Rambo. So I was a hobby farm boy. And for the record it did instill a pretty good work ethic, thanks mom and dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment